Thursday 17 March 2011

Wow, what a week.

I was about to use the term emotional roller coaster to describe my week, but I seem to remember using that term a LOT a couple of years ago when I'd swing between deep depression and amazing highs from day to day.

And maybe if I was the me I was two years ago, it would be appropriate. But this week has been pretty stable. I've had my share of heartache this week, but I can't change that. I can only affect how I handle it. Instead of dwelling in the negative, I've been keeping up with the promise myself to get on track with my nutrition and fitness.

So it's Thursday. Where are we?

Well, I did a number on my knee in Costa Rica and today is the first day I've walked around without my tensor. Instead of letting it lie, I'm checking in with my GP on Monday and seeing if she recommends any kind physio or other therapy. Tomorrow I'm going to see massage therapy guru Sarah Ritchie in Oakville and treat myself and my knee to some true massaging talent.

But I'm not letting my knee impede the fitness choices that I need to make now. I've decided that my knee is strong enough at the moment to take a bit of a beating over the next two days, and have signed up for two things. On Saturday I'm attending a four-hour self defense seminar at The Orangeville Dojo where Thomas trains. These are skills I've always looked at having and am afraid that one day I'll run into some trouble and realize that I waited too long.

The second thing I've signed up for is the Learn to Run 10 week program at the Running Room. Most classes started while I was in Costa Rica, but the Beaches store starts their class tomorrow. Its goal race is the Ottawa Race Weekend, and I think I might just head out with Larry and do my run there.

Finally, due to some inspiration I received on Sunday, I've taken a second, harder look at this site (SparkPeople) and am attempting to use it to track my nutrition and fitness goals. I'm going to be blogging from there, too.

I thought about just posting a link to the blog, but I know that things can get buried in the FB-verse quickly without tags. So I decided that if you guys still want to keep up with the Baranses, I'll copy and paste my blog posts here.

If anyone is using SparkPeople, send me a message and I'll add you into my circle of friends :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Shlo!

    I'm reading all of this and am very inspired and proud of you! Derek and his mom are doing Spark People quite religiously and have been since for almost 2 months! I did it a bit years ago and a bit this winter, but i'm not keeping it up, so I suggest you add Derek to your circle of friends! :0)

    Simone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also! I think I have a copy of the Tao o Pooh and the Te of Piglet somewhere... I read them ages ago and loved them both! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to borrow them if you don't mind!

    As for SP, I'm slowly getting into it. We'll see where it goes...

    ReplyDelete