Thursday 31 March 2011

Stats, Refections & Choices

Stats & Reflections

Diet
Though I'm not tracking my food right now, I'm still sticking to weighing in Monday mornings. Monday morning sat at 170.4, which means I'm staying the course... renewed interest in physical activity should help me with some balances, but I need to make sure that I don't overeat when my appetite grows due to the exercise.

Conclusion - I need to start tracking my food STAT.


Running
March 18, Learn-to-Run class: 2.5k, 5 min ea. warm-up/cool-down, 10 1/1 intervals (total 30 min)

March 20, Run with thomas: 2.7k, 5 min ea. warm-up/cool-down, 10 1/1 intervals (total 30 min)
  • Still felt doable (these are the reflections I end up with when trying to write them over a week later)

March 25, Learn-to-Run class: 4k, 5 min ea. warm-up/cool-down, 9 2/1 intervals (total 37 min)
  • The first minute of walking felt like 10 seconds - not nearly enough time to recover. But as the intervals went on, it actually seemed to get easier. Other hard parts included going up an incline for the first time and, oh yes, it being about 12 degrees colder than the previous Friday.

March 27, Run with thomas: 2.7k, 5 min warm-up untimed cool-down, 5 2/1 intervals (total approx. 20 min) - run cut short
  • My knee cramped up when I tried to tie the opposite lace. My GOOD knee. But I was already having a lot of trouble long before. I felt that my pace was much slower than Friday. I don't know if it's just optics. There are many faster girls on my Friday class, but there are many slower girls, too. I run at my pace and I end up running with a few different people along the way. When I run with Thomas, I know he can go much faster. It doesn't make me feel bad, but it does make me think that I'm not going fast enough. However, it could have just as easily been the wind we faced. I felt like I had to put out a lot more effort on Sunday to do less than I did on Friday.


Choices (sigh)
I realized yesterday that I have to make a decision, and quickly.
-Registration for the Ottawa 5K is 90% full.
-It will take about three weeks once I get measured to get my orthotics made.
-In those three weeks, I should be endeavouring to run nine times.
-My knees are sore, and I don't think that I can keep up that pace - yet.

So I've made the decision to defer my clinic. I'm going to spend the next while strengthening the muscles in my legs and building a better base for running.

I guess this is the one time I really should have put it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment