Thursday 24 March 2011

Your feedback requested

It's funny, I haven't even posted the last journal on sparkpeople. I haven't taken the time to get use of the full extent of the site. Either way, this note isn't really about fitness or physical health...it's about mental health, and where my focus has been sitting all week. (This is also the reason there are a few more people tagged here today)

I am terribly unhappy with my job. I have been for years, but one thing or another has kept me there. The promise of possible growth, the great work life balance, the fantastic people I work with.

But there have been major changes, and those fantastic people are dropping like flies. The work life balance isn't nearly as balanced. And finally, the organization all but outright said to me yesterday that I'm not worth any investment to them.

I've been looking for work. In fact, I've been looking for a long time. The easiest transition would be to move into another role like mine. But I hate the type of work I do. So I've been looking for the kind of work I want: entry-level human resources. But the positions are few and far between. When you incorporate my limited commuting ability (pretty much either Brampton or downtown Toronto), the options are limited.
And of course, every other HR grad for the last few years plus those who have experience are all applying for all the same few postings. The last job I applied for had over 400 submissions. 400 people to compete against just to make it to the short list.

So with many applications over the last three years, I've managed to land one phone interview that didn't end up panning out. And I made it on that short list because I knew someone on the inside.

Which brings me to today. I've tinkered with the thought of going back to school for a while. The first time around, I went and took classes that were intuitive to me. I ended up hating school and just sticking through it to get the piece of paper that proved I knew what I already knew.

This time, it would be pretty foreign territory. I'm hoping to get into a nutritional studies with the end goal of becoming a Registered Dietician. I know that healthcare is not the best place to set up, but I also know that there is going to be a major shift in the next five years with a slew of retirements.

So, I ask for your feedback. If Thomas and I can make the numbers work, and ONLY if we can, do I do it? Do I get back into studies and put everything else on hold? Your opinions wanted.

1 comment:

  1. There are some dietitians at my work... if you want, I can see if they are willing to chat with you about this option and give you their feedback. :0)

    ReplyDelete